Thursday, June 16, 2011

typical Bolivia

15 June 2011

On Monday I didn't work because there was a road blockade by the bus drivers. It's pretty common for los choferes (drivers) to protest by blocking roads a few times during the month. So that meant that when Pepe dropped me off at Sustainable Bolivia (the org. who had outsourced me to my job and who holds events with other interns) I had to find something else to do. I talked to this girl from PA and found out that there are many other PA-ers with the organization at this time (actually one guy from my program at GSPIA). After exploring the house of Sustainable Bolivia, my new-found friend and I slapped on our bathing suits and sat in the sun on the balcony. When walking around Cochabamba you can see people wearing thick winter coats and scarves although it will be only 60 outside. It's strange, but I suppose they are layering up. Or maybe not that strange for everyone else but me since I'm hardened to cold weather (thanks Pittsburgh!). In any case, because of the elevation it gets very sunny and you tan quickly.

After tomando el sol, I went back to Pepe's casa and then went out to join the Sustainable Bolivia gang to see X-MEN. It was awesome. I ordered some cheese fries and popcorn before the movie - it's difficult to eat pizza or pretty much anything without having sausage in it (not a fan of red meat). This means Pepe's madre has to get creative in the kitchen. Last night, for example, I had hamburger helper...but with chicken instead.

Yesterday, I went to CEDESOL for my actual first day of work. I took the micro (little bus that you hop on wherever and get off wherever). I talked to David, the man in charge (an American guy without facial hair but a long grey ponytail), about my resume (yes, had to explain Human Security) and my interests, like gender analysis. Sigh, yes I was given some slack. I am working with all males, however I am prepared maintain my energetic, romantic and somewhat disillusioned ideals.

Today, I went in to work an hour late and still was only the second person to have arrived. One of the volunteers is leaving and thus my second day consisted of: preparing the feast, buying beer, merrily feasting, and then sitting around to digest and make bromas (jokes) en espanol. I'm one of three Americans there. There is also a Belgian/Congolese man, English chap, and a few locals who work as translators and engineers.






some of the very serious men I work with and our "rocket stove" in action

I hope to take on the M&E (monitoring and evaluation) project so that the organization can be accredited by the Gold Standard and I’m also hopeful that I can do some gender analysis so that I may jot it down on my resume. I will give you more details about the job once I have a better idea. I'll be going to el campo (the countryside) soon to watch a solar stove demonstration. Woo! I'm actually quite excited. I also hope to get more involved with the human rights scene as I'll be guest blogging for PGH Human Rights Network. I seem to be the only person interested in the social aspect of working here...hmmm.....must not lose focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment