Sunday, June 19, 2011

¿Cómo se whaaaat?

18 June 2011

"Dar a luz" means "to give light" and it also means "to give birth."

Isn't that the most amazing way to say it?

Anyhow, I'm realizing more and more that I am learning another vocabulary separate from what I learned in Mexico/Guatemala and Espana.

Examples:

harto=mucho
choclo=maiz
chompa=chaqueta
frutilla=fresa

And you say "vos" instead of "tu," which is confusing when I'm trying to be informal. Bolivians say their Spanish is Castellano here, which I thought was only in Spain. I'm in South America! There is much Argentine influence, Chilean influence, Andean influence. A lot of "w" when saying words like "juego." And also random Quechua words.This will make for a quite interesting vocabulary when I leave Bolivia.

Now some pictures of the coca leaf, which I have recently become aware of as a common public favorite.


"When chewed, coca acts as a mild stimulant and suppresses hunger, thirst, pain, and fatigue."

When I went to the Madre Tierra conference the other day, it was as expected to pick up these leaves to chew as it was go get a cup of coffee.

1 comment: