Saturday, June 11, 2011

I'm going again!

8 Junio 2011

washington d.c.

I keep a planner. I have since elementary school. You know, the ones they used to provide to help students be more organized. However, just like after graduating from undergrad, my schedule post-graduate school was blank for the rest of my life. Still looking for a job, yes, but still in this limbo state of no purpose. So I did what I had to make existence possible. I jotted in plans to leave.

I am going to Bolivia in a few hours because it seems like the most comfortable place in my mind to go abroad. I’ve studied Bolivia’s landscape in photographs, I’ve invested hours and hours researching the impact of structural adjustment programs on women’s health in the country/the results of privatization of the natural gas industry/the new emergence of quinoa’s popularity on farmers, and I’ve always had planted in the back of my head my goal to visit Pepe in his hometown (the Bolivian exchange student from my high school).

For me, the idea of traveling to a place just to go there without any background knowledge of the country is not desirable. I prefer to travel places where I can seek out the physical reality of what my mind has put together from texts, images, and stories. That is unbelievably satisfying. So off I go to the vast somewhat-known-unknown!

No comments:

Post a Comment